Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This easy to make soup is VERY close to the vegetable beef barley soup they serve at Denny's.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 bag frozen mixed vegetables (You know, the kind with the carrot cubes, and green beans, and lima beans, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup barley (approximately)
- 1 (32 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes
- Brown ground beef, add vegetables, tomatoes, barley, and broth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- This is great for a crock pot, as the longer it cooks, the better it is.
A nice basic soup recipe that needs more seasoning. I added onion and garlic to the ground round, V-8 juice, and more barley. These additions were nice but the soup is still a bit bland tasting. Close to Denny's soup but not quite there.
Taste was ok, but not even remotely close to Denny's soup. I LOVE their soup and this was not it. Still, this recipe was ok, but I'd say needs a little something.
This was just what I needed for dinner last night. I didn't have mixed veggies so I put in a little corn, a little green beans and a little peas. Worked great. I froze the leftovers.