Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A more refined, adult-flavoured mac and cheese with greens.
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 4 -5 small leeks, sliced
- 8 leaves swiss chard (can be replaced with spinach)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (48 g) package white wine, sauce mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup marbled cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup extra-strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, separated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove ribs from swiss chard and slice them thinly.
- Blanch leeks and swiss chard ribs in vegetable oil.
- Prepare white wine sauce according to directions (I made mine with milk instead of water). Add extra 2/3 cup of milk.
- Chop swiss chard greens and combine with parsley and leeks.
- Mix pasta, sauce, greens, and cheeses.
- Pour all but 2 cups of mix into a generously buttered (13x9) glass dish.
- Add 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs to remaining 2 cups of mix. Spread over top.
- Sprinkle second 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes or until edges are golden.