Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in a cookbook of Mexican Cookery. This is the Americanized version. I live close to the Mexican border and have eaten these in Tijuana.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 small onion, for serving
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped (for chicken mix)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomatillos
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned tomatoes, drained
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup guacamole, for serving
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Place chicken breasts in large pot, add water to cover add bay leaf, peppercorns and salt to taste. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool and drain. Shred chicken and mix with chopped onion Parmesan cheese and Monterey Jack and set aside.
- In a blender combine the green chilies, tomatillos, cilantro, cream and egg. Blend.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Heat oil in fry pan and cook tortillas one at a time. Place chicken on top of a tortilla, pressing to make it compact. Roll tightly and place seam side down in baking dish. Pour the chili cream mixture over each one and top with cheddar. Bake for 20 minutes.
- To serve top with sour cream,guacamole and shredded lettuce and onion.
Very good - plenty of sauce to go around! I used 3 chicken breasts as they were on the small side, and had to substitute tomatillo & green chile sauce for the tomatillos (which I couldn't find!). I also didn't fry the tortillas, but just briefly microwaved them so they were soft and easy to roll; just being lazy because I was hungry! :-) Would bake these a bit longer the next time, but other than that: just lovely! Very much enjoyed, thank you for sharing!
Very good, will freeze and reheat very well. Cooked then froze and thawed out in fridge and reheated for aobut 30 minutes.
This is the new favorite in my family. I love the use of tomatillos. I used a little extra green chilies since we like heat. Excellent recipe and very easy to make.