Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a must to kick off our summer! I came up with this recipe after making a batch of Our Ice Cream and had leftover egg whites. What a treat with fresh strawberries and homemade ice cream.
- 12 egg whites
- 2.46 ml salt
- 7.39 ml cream of tartar
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml sifted cake flour
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) and salt until foamy on high speed in electric mixer.
- Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cake flour together.
- Gently fold sugar/flour mixture into egg whites, scraping down the sides of the bowl, turning over in direction of figure "8".
- Lightly spoon mixture into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 375ºF for 30-35 minutes.
- Invert cake onto bottle to completely cool (generally takes 2 hours).
- Remove cake from pan by running a sharp knife around the sides and gently pressing on bottom to loosen.
Yummy!! Love angel food cake and this is great!! I beat my egg whites by hand, old-school, in my copper bowl and it turned out great and gave me some good exercise!!! I left out the cream of tartar because I had the copper. Thanks for the recipe!!