Recipe by Anita Harris
Great for cupcakes...excellent recipe for piping onto cupcakes! This is my go to recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening (I actually use Alpine Hi-Ratio Icing Shortening)
- 1⁄2 cup real butter, softened (not margarine)
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla (I use Wilton's Vanilla or Butter flavoring)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons milk (use your judgment to adjust to consistency you want or need)
- In large mixing bowl with paddle attachment (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer) beat together shortening and butter.
- Add vanilla and with mixer on low add your powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing after each cup is added. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
- When all sugar has been added frosting will appear dry. Add milk, one tablespoon at a time until you get your desired consistency (2-3 tbsps of milk give me the desired consistency I need for piping). Increase mixer speed to medium/medium high and beat for 4-5 minutes.
- If not using right away or you have to step away for a few minutes cover the bowl with a damp cloth to keep frosting from getting too dry. This frosting can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For thin spreading consistency add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup or milk.
- For pure white frosting (stiff consistency) omit butter and substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for the butter and 1/2 teaspoon no color butter flavoring. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup or milk to thin for frosting cakes.
- For Chocolate Frosting: Add 3/4 cup unsweet cocoa or 3-1 ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted. Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons milk.