Recipe by chelgilm
My husbands friends wife made this pie and he brought one home for me to try. It was delicious! I just had to get her recipe.
Top Review by MsLizze
This filling is amazingly good! I did change it up some though. First, I used brown sugar instead of white because that's all that I had on hand. Second, I threw in a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips because I love chocolate chips scattered throughout my chocolate desserts. Third, I used three cups of pecan halves instead of 3/4 of a cup of chopped pecans. I was wanting to make a chocolate pecan pie rather than a fudge pie with some pecans scattered in it. Surprisingly, even with so much extra filling, it just filled up two pie shells. I'm not sure there would have been enough filling without the extra 3 cups of stuff.
- 10 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 10 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa, plus
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup pecan pieces
- 2 unbaked pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and blend in cocoa.
- Mix cocoa mixture with sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add milk and mix.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add pecans and mix.
- Pour into unbaked pie shells (2).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until set.
- Pie will puff when done.
- Do not overbake or pie will be dry.
- Take pie out of oven when pie is still shaking in center.
- Let cool off completely then store in refrigerator.