1/1 Photo of Delicate Afghan Butter Cookies/Kulche Birinjee (Gluten Free)
This is a beautiful naturally gluten free cookie that looks pretty and tastes very nice masha Allah. I make these as gifts as well as for family. Make sure not to over mix when making the whole batch. I always make a half batch at a time and bake as soon as possible. Over mixing or handling the batter will make the cookies tougher. Found on http://www.afghancooking.net.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups rice flour (finely ground, ie not course)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (please use freshly ground, it makes it so much tastier)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup shelled whole unsalted pistachios
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- 3Add the egg whites and mix until smooth.
- 4Gradually add the rice flour, cardamom and pistachios. Mix well.
- 5Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and set on a cookie sheet (ungreased is ok). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. The cookie will not rise or spread during cooking.
- 6Press the back of a fork into the dough, making a criss-cross with the tines of the fork (like you would with a peanut butter cookie). If the fork begins to stick, dip it in a glass of cold water from time to time.
- 7Place a pistachio in the center of the cookie and press lightly. Continue with the remainder of the dough.
- 8Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not let them brown. Let it cool before eating.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicate Afghan Butter Cookies/Kulche Birinjee (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.5
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 33.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 1.0 g