This is a beautiful naturally gluten free cookie that looks pretty and tastes very nice masha Allah. I make these as gifts as well as for family. Make sure not to over mix when making the whole batch. I always make a half batch at a time and bake as soon as possible. Over mixing or handling the batter will make the cookies tougher. Found on http://www.afghancooking.net.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups rice flour (finely ground, ie not course)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (please use freshly ground, it makes it so much tastier)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup shelled whole unsalted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the egg whites and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the rice flour, cardamom and pistachios. Mix well.
- Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and set on a cookie sheet (ungreased is ok). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. The cookie will not rise or spread during cooking.
- Press the back of a fork into the dough, making a criss-cross with the tines of the fork (like you would with a peanut butter cookie). If the fork begins to stick, dip it in a glass of cold water from time to time.
- Place a pistachio in the center of the cookie and press lightly. Continue with the remainder of the dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not let them brown. Let it cool before eating.
Wonderful cookies! The flavors from the cardamom and pistachio impart a wonderful accent to the soft and tender cookies. A definite keeper! Thanks for sharing!
They're incredible. Fragrant and delicate - during the gathering which I took them to they vanished so quickly that I only could try two of them. As I didn't find unsalted pistachios, I used pine nuts instead, which tasted very good, too. I'll definitely make them again soon! Thanks for sharing!
Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.
Originally tagged just for us here at home, a neighbor was having a slew of grandkids for the weekend & I decided to gift her batches of several cookies I was planning to make anyway! Still kept a handful for ourselves, & we really like these tasty one, especially with the pistachios in 'em! Easy to make & a delight to eat ~ Couldn't be better! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the Almost 5 Special Event]