This is a beautiful naturally gluten free cookie that looks pretty and tastes very nice masha Allah. I make these as gifts as well as for family. Make sure not to over mix when making the whole batch. I always make a half batch at a time and bake as soon as possible. Over mixing or handling the batter will make the cookies tougher. Found on http://www.afghancooking.net.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups rice flour (finely ground, ie not course)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (please use freshly ground, it makes it so much tastier)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup shelled whole unsalted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the egg whites and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the rice flour, cardamom and pistachios. Mix well.
- Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and set on a cookie sheet (ungreased is ok). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. The cookie will not rise or spread during cooking.
- Press the back of a fork into the dough, making a criss-cross with the tines of the fork (like you would with a peanut butter cookie). If the fork begins to stick, dip it in a glass of cold water from time to time.
- Place a pistachio in the center of the cookie and press lightly. Continue with the remainder of the dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not let them brown. Let it cool before eating.