Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a dehydrated backpacking meal. Got this recipe from the book "Backpack Gourmet". I made this once and shared with some friends and we all agreed that it should stay in the camping food rotation. Preparing your own dehydrated meals can save you money, and they taste much better. Must have a decent dehydrator.Also it may be nice to bring ketchup packets, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Grate, then drain in a colander, pressing out moisture: 4 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, 2 large onions.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat, then add: 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- When the oil it hot, add the potatoes and onion pressing them into the pan and stirring, occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Stir in: 10 ounces sausage, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 10-by-13-inch casserole dish.
- Stir into the potato mixture: 8 eggs (beaten), 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Spread the mixture in the casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Spread on covered dehydrator trays and dehydrate for 4 1/2 hours at 145 degrees (time will vary depending on dehydrator).
- To rehydrate, cover with water 1/2 inch above the level of food in pot, boil, stir, and serve.