1/1 Photo of Deep in the Heart of Texas Sugar Cookies
Young Living in Texas's Note:
I won first place in a 4th of July bake off with this tender cookie. I used the white glaze for Texas and red crushed candy for the heart. Using a blue edible ink writing pen I made swirles in Amarillo and Lubbock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 Brach's hard cinnamon candies, crushed
- 1Crush the hard candy fairly fine.
- 2Beat powdered sugar and butter.
- 3Mix in vanilla, almond extract and egg.
- 4Sift together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix into creamed mixture.
- 5Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- 6Tape (2) paint stir sticks, the width of your rolling pin, on to parchment paper. Stir sticks gives you even thickness of about 1/8 inch thick.
- 7Tape the paper to your counter.
- 8Place a piece of dough on the paper, cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll.
- 9If the dough sticks use powdered sugar on the rolling surface.
- 10It is best not to get it on top of the cookie if you are going to glaze, because it makes the top of the cookie puffy where the sugar was.
- 11Use a 3 ½ inch Texas shaped cookie cutter, then use a 1 inch heart shaped cutter.
- 12Place cookies on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- 13Spoon it in the heart spaces. Use as much as you want, but not over the top of the Texas shape cookie.
- 14You can sprinkle the cookie with sugar before baking or may glaze after completely cooled.
- 15Bake at 375° F for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges or golden.
- 16Let your stained glass cookies cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- 17Cool completely before glazing.
- 18WHITE GLAZE: Mix all ingredients until smooth or desired brushing consistency.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep in the Heart of Texas Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1090 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.5
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.5 mg
- Sodium 74.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g