Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My Mother used to make this for us as a special treat. I don't know where she got this recipe or what it is called (hence the title). My husband loves this and encouraged me to submit it. This recipe is full of sugar and oil and is as unhealthy as a desert can be but very yummy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in milk, vanilla, egg and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Mix until smooth.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil to 400 degrees in a small deep fryer (a quart sized sauce pan will do in a pinch).
- Oil is hot enough when it starts to ripple.
- Be careful not to overheat.
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly onto the buttered side of the bread slices.
- Make sandwiches by placing the slices of bread together with the brown sugar on the inside.
- Cut the sandwiches into quarters.
- Now is a good time to test the oil by dropping in a very small amount of batter.
- Batter should sizzle and brown in about 20 seconds.
- Oil needs to be hot enough to melt the brown sugar inside the sandwiches but not so hot that it scorches the batter.
- Dip the sandwiches into the batter mixture.
- Using deep fryer tongs, carefully place the battered sandwiches into the heated oil.
- Be cautious when deep frying.
- Try to avoid burns from splattering hot oil.
- Remove Sandwiches from the oil when they are golden brown.
- Set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.