Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
A rich side dish, ideally prepared with fresh peas and baby onions. Creamy with a lemony tang, a wonderful side dish, nice enough to eat by themselves! From The Inspired Vegetarian
Top Review by rosie316
Made these for dinner the other night. Hubby wanted more (just the two of us finished this off). I did use frozen peas and frozen (but thawed) pearl onions. I wasn't sure if that was the same as baby onions. I did not have to peel or cut them (they are tiny). This was really good. Hubby suggested that maybe next time I could put some diced, precooked ham into it to make it a meal in itself. Hmmmm? Thanks for a keeper. Made for CQ 2015 for LBOB
- 6 ounces baby onions
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 12 ounces shelled fresh peas (or frozen)
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 1⁄2 ounce flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the onions, and halve them if necessary. (If quite large).
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, and fry the onions for 5 - 6 minutes over a moderate heat, until they begin to be flecked with brown.
- Add the peas, and stirfry for a few minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water, and bring to the boil.
- Partially cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until both the peas and the onions are tender.
- (Frozen peas will cook more quickly).
- There should be a thin layer of water on the base of the pan, add a little more water if necessary, or if there is too much liquid, remove the lid, and increase the heat until the liquid is reduced.
- Using a small whisk, blend the cream with the flour.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the combined cream and flour, parsley, and seasoning to taste.
- Cook over a gentle heat for about 3 - 4 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, add the lemon juice to sharpen, if liked.