1/4 Photos of Decadent Chocolate Mousse Bars
4 hrs 40 mins
I made these for a company bake-off and won first prize. This is time consuming, but is one of the most fabulous chocolate desserts I have ever made! It can be made with or without the ganache topping, but I strongly suggest that you make it totally awesome by adding the ganche! Don't eat too many -- they are rich!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 5 cups corn flakes, crushed lightly
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used Baker's 1 oz. squares)
- 4 egg yolks (pasteurized if available)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1To make crust:.
- 2Line a 9 x 13" cake pan with parchment paper.
- 3Melt milk chocolate in a double boiler.
- 4Stir peanut butter into melted chocolate. Place crushed corn flakes in a bowl and stir chocolate/peanut butter mixture over them, mixing well.
- 5Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and cool in refrigerator.
- 6To make Mousse:.
- 7Melt semisweet chocolate in a double boiler. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer fitted with a paddle, beating until light and fluffy.
- 8Add sifted cocoa powder and mix well. Scrape down bowl and add chocolate.
- 9Continue mixing and add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 10Fold in heavy cream that has been beaten to firm peak.
- 11Mix well to incorporate, leaving no white streaks in the chocolate.
- 12Spread mousse over crust.
- 13Chill about 2 hours, until set. Cut into desired size bars with a sharp knife dipped in hot water. (1 x 4-1/2 " cuts will yield about 2 dozen bars).
- 14Place bars on a cooling rack that has been placed over a clean baking sheet. (Bars may be completed at this time or coated with ganache).
- 15If bars are soft, place rack in freezer until ganache is ready.
- 16To make ganache:.
- 17Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- 18Mix sugar and heavy cream in a small saucepan and bring mixture to a slow boil over low heat(be careful not to scorch the cream).
- 19Pour cream over chocolate and stir with a whisk to incorporate, making sure all the chocolate is melted.
- 20Strain mixture to remove any pieces of unmelted chocolate.
- 21Let cool for about 1 hour.
- 22Pour ganache over firm bars to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm ganache.
- 23The bars should be stored in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Chocolate Mousse Bars
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.1
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 171.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g