Recipe by debbies dishes
This is an old family recipe. It is one of my favorites.
Top Review by diner524
Wonderful pineapple upside down cake. I made this as written except I used all pineapple juice, for more flavor and omitted the pecans as I am the only one in family that cares for them. I used a 10 inch cast iron skillet and at about 20 mins into baking I starting smelling the cake very strongly so at 25 minutes I checked the cake, with toothpick test and it was done. The top was deep golden color but the cake was nice and moist still. I love that cake is homemade rather than a yellow cake mix. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple rings (drained and juice reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In an iron skillet, melt butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar in pan.
- Place pineapples onto sugar.
- Place cherry in middle of each ring.
- Lay pecan halves, top side down, around pineapple rings. set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Mix buttermilk and pineapple juice. Set aside.
- Alternately add wet and dry ingredients to butter mixture.
- (always start with dry and end with dry).
- Add vanilla extract.
- DO NOT OVERMIX DOUGH.
- Pour into the prepared skillet, over fruit mixture.
- Bake 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Wait 4 minutes then Invert cake onto plate.