Recipe by Michelle_My_Belle
I saw this on Comcasts digital cookbook (www.digitalcookbook.tv). I added them here so I can set up grocery lists with them included. I'll add on here when I've tried myself a better description. **** Serving yields 8 onions, as an appetizer they say 1 onion per person, but as a meal, 2
Top Review by anme
I really enjoyed this recipe a lot. I scaled it down to use about 1 1/2 cups of squash with no problem and 2 onions. I bet this recipe would look cool if I did it right. My onions didnt stay together so I kinda just mixed all the ingredients together in the end instead of sutffing the onions.
- 6 cups chunked peeled butternut squash (from about a 2 1/4-lb squash)
- 8 large sweet onions (about 12 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves ((or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- fresh sage leaf (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have ready a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Put squash chunks in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain well, then mash.
- While squash cooks, peel onions, and cut 1/4in. thick slice off the tops. Cut a smaller slice from root ends so onions can stand upright.
- With a melon baler or serrated teaspoon, scoop flesh from the centers, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell. Reserve scooped flesh.
- Wrap 4 onions in dampened paper towels and put on a dish. Microwave on high 10 minutes or until just tender. Unwrap; place in the baking dish. Cook remaining 4 onions the same way.
- Chop half the scooped-out flesh. (The rest can be used for something else.).
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- While onion shells cook, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and salt.
- Cook 9 to 10 minutes, stirring, often, until browned and tender. Stir in sage.
- Stir onion mixture and 1 cups cheese into the mashed squash. Sprinkle onion shells with 1/4 tsp salt. Spoon squash mixture into onions, mounding slightly.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining 1/4-cup cheese and bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with sage leaves.