1/4 Photos of Dave's Chili
3 hrs 25 mins
We love to make chili together, and we usually play around with it all day, adding this and that, and it is never the same, but today's batch was exceptional so I thought I would put it here for future reference. The original recipe is supposedly from Conway Twitty that my husband obtained from an anesthesiologist he was working with at the time. Conway supposedly won a Texas chili cook-off with it. But this is our version of his great recipe that has evolved over the years. It's a little hot/spicy, but you can adjust the amount of seasonings if you want it milder. Feel free to play around with it. Hope you enjoy. Someday I'll post the original of Conway's chili recipe. NOTE: I have updated this recipe with a few changes including not draining the beans and using only 1 can of Rotel. And in the directions to add extra water as needed. I like the added flavor of not draining the beans. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2721.55-3628.73 g ground beef
- 118.32 ml olive oil
- 3785.44 ml water
- 16-20 dried chili pods
- 20 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 29.57 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml ground red pepper
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml fresh ground pepper
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml dried onion flakes
- 59.16-118.32 ml Mexican chili powder (start with 2 and increase to suit your taste buds)
- 88.74 ml flour
- 59.14 ml cornmeal
- 118.29 ml water
- 907.18 g can dark red kidney beans (more to taste)
- 878.83 g can pinto beans (more to taste)
- 822.13 g can petite cut diced tomatoes (more to taste, Note ( To kick this up a little more use 1 10 oz cans of Rotel)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- 2Add the hamburger meat (or double ground brisket if using) and brown; drain off excess fat).
- 3Add the minced garlic, 8 cups of water and the dried chili pods and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
- 5Remove the chili pods and any stems that may have fallen off the pods.
- 6Add the bay leaves through the Mexican Chili Powder and stir.
- 7To thicken the chili, mix the flour and cornmeal with 1/4 cup of water until smooth, then add to the chili and stir well.
- 8Add the Beans and Tomatoes.
- 9Mix well and bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. The longer it cooks the better it gets. Add a little water as it cooks down. :).
- 11NOTE: If it gets too thick, just add a little water. We serve this with cheddar cheese or chopped onions on top and crackers or cornbread.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dave's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (799 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1247.3
- Calories from Fat 603
- Total Fat 67.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 231.3 mg
- Sodium 2061.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 86.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried chili pods