David J Rust's Note:
My own take on my grandmother's dish. Apparently, back in the 50s, it was all the rage for American housewives to cook chow mein. And even though the dish is not authentic Chinese, it is authentic Chinese-American. This side-dish makes 7 Cups of chow mein; it is intended to be served in 1-Cup servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (about half a box, roughly 1 Cup)
- 5 -6 stalks celery, chopped (about 2 Cups)
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 1/2 ounces snow peas, chopped (about 1/2 Cup)
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 chicken thighs, chopped (boneless or skinless, about 12-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (about 4 ounces)
- 4 1/2 ounces bean sprouts (the thick variety)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 green onions, finely chopped
- 1In a dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Saute the chicken until cooked.
- 2Remove the chicken and set aside. (I usually put it on top of the chopped green onions, bean sprouts, and half the garlic).
- 3Add the half the garlic, the chopped mushrooms, celery, onion, peapods, and bell pepper to the oil that was used to saute the chicken. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- 4Add the broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with the dutch oven's lid. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, mix the water and the cornstarch, completely incorporating the powder into the liquid making a slurry.
- 6After the vegetables have simmered for 20 minutes, add the chicken, green onion, bean sprouts, and remaining garlic; stir to incorporate. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 7After the final ingredients have simmered, stir in the arrowroot slurry to thicken.
- 8Serve, hot.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dave's Chow Mein
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.8 mg
- Sodium 317.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g