Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Another in Boqueria's chef Sean Mullen's "tapas for 8" party menu. Substitute any blue cheese if you cannot get the one in the recipe, and any almond if you dont have marcona.
- 16 madjool dates
- 16 marcona almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 lb valdeon blue cheese or 1⁄4 lb cabrales blue cheese
- 8 slices bacon, each cut in half
- 16 toothpicks
- Cut each date along one side, removing the pit and replacing it with a toasted Marcona almond.
- Place a teaspoon of the cheese inside the date and close it. Wrap each date with half a slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
I used HUGE madjool dates and they are so rich that I could only eat one!!! I stuffed half the dates with cabrales blue cheese and 2 marcona almonds and then stuffed the other half with manchego cheese and 2 marcona almonds. I had some serrano ham left over in the fridge, so I used that in place of the bacon which was GRAND and lighted up the calories and fat. I actually preferred the ones with the huge chunks of manchego over the blue cheese, but now I know!!! Served with some Pinot Noir (which I just realized was French). Thanks. ..made for ZWT5 Family Picks Spain for Team Las Sirenas.
Wonderful and intense flavours. One daughter -- who does not care much for dates or blue cheese -- even enjoyed these. We used ordinary dates and almonds. I forgot these in the oven for an extra 5 minutes and that did them no harm. This would be a great make-ahead appetiser -- with the baking done at the last minute. Made and thoroughly enjoyed for Pick A Chef.
I made these as a snack just for myself so I only made three this afternoon but I wish I had made more! These flavors marry so well together and it is so simple to prepare. Thanks MarraMamba