Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Dates & rhubarb make a lovely combination. Serve for breakfast with a cinnamon bun or plain bagel. I like some French Vanilla yogurt on it MMmm
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rhubarb, strings removed and chopped
- 1 cup minced dates
- 1 large orange, juice & zest of
- 3 cloves
- honey or sugar or maple syrup (Sweeten to taste) (optional)
- Combine the rhubarb, dates, orangejuice, zest& cloves in a saucepan and barely cover with boiling water.
- Simmer until the dates and rhubarb are tender.
- Discard the cloves and add additional sweetener if you want to.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Bergy, I made this with honey and ground cloves. I put a dollop of this on some hot oatmeal then added a splash of light cream. It tasted like date squares. I'm having breakfast more often! Thanks for posting. Barb
I made this with honey and the ground cloves like Barbara suggested and it was delish!! I have this with natural yogurt for breakfast or as a dessert or anytime i'm passing the fridge and can't resist it!! ;-)
The best stewed rhubarb I have ever tasted. I didn't have quite enough soft Parnoosh dates so I added a bit of date syrup/molasses, the whole cloves, plus creamed honey to keep it healthy and the orange. I love the flavour that added.