I used to scout out date squares at bake sales when I was a kid. Definitely my favourite bar. I love the textures and flavours; buttery, crumbly crust; sweet, sticky date filling. A treat all the time!
- Simmer dates in orange juice and cinnamon for 30 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. (be careful not to scorch mixture if it gets too thick)
- Combine flour, salt and brown sugar and cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in coconut, nuts and oats.
- Press half of dough mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 inch pyrex baking dish. Pat dough flat with a sheet of wax paper on hand.
- Spread date mixture to within a half inch of edges.
- Top with remaining dough and flatten lightly with wax paper on hand.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190C) oven for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool in pan and cut into 24 bars (4 long strips cut by 6 shorter strips).