1/1 Photo of Date Squares
1 hr 15 mins
I used to scout out date squares at bake sales when I was a kid. Definitely my favourite bar. I love the textures and flavours; buttery, crumbly crust; sweet, sticky date filling. A treat all the time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Simmer dates in orange juice and cinnamon for 30 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. (be careful not to scorch mixture if it gets too thick)
- 2Combine flour, salt and brown sugar and cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in coconut, nuts and oats.
- 3Press half of dough mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 inch pyrex baking dish. Pat dough flat with a sheet of wax paper on hand.
- 4Spread date mixture to within a half inch of edges.
- 5Top with remaining dough and flatten lightly with wax paper on hand.
- 6Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190C) oven for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- 7Let cool in pan and cut into 24 bars (4 long strips cut by 6 shorter strips).
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Squares
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.8
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 164.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g