Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have not tried this recipe. The recipe came of a old Maxwell House label.
- 1 cup unsifted Swans Down cake flour, plus 2 tablespons
- 1 teaspoon calumet baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind (optional)
- 2 cups finely cut dates
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Mix flour with baking powder and salt. Gradually beat sugar into eggs. Add butter, water and rind. Stir in dates and nuts. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Spread batter evenly in greased 13x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Cool; cut in bars. Sprinkle with or roll in confectioners sugar, if desired.