Recipe by grandma2969
what's not to like
Top Review by Muslim Cook
I made this to use up a surplus of fresh dates. It was very good. My husband who doesn't like traditional cakes at all almost ate the whole thing! I told everyone about it and now i have to make a bunch more. Thanks! I put some leftover maple frosting glaze on some of it to make it a touch sweeter. It was delicious too!
- 1 cup snipped pitted dates
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Cool Whip, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350*.
- place dates and butter in an ungreased 13x9" baking pan --
- stir in 1 cup of boiling water to soften dates and melt butter -- stir well.
- add cake mix, eggs and walnuts.stir with fork for 2-3 minutes or blended --
- scrape bottoms and sides of pan once in a while with rubber spatula to be sure all is combined --
- spread batter evenly in pan.
- sprinkle with brown sugar, pour remaining 1 1/2 cups boiling water, slowly.over brown sugar --
- DO NOT STIR!
- bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes or golden brown.
- serve warm with whipped topping if desired -- .