Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use this delicious mixture to fill coffeecakes. It sounds more unusual than it is -- it's really easy and completely different from ordinary coffeecake fillings.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2⁄3 cup dates
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- Beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form, beating in sugar gradually.
- Stir in orange zest, dates and walnuts.
- Roll out coffeecake yeast dough to a long oblong.
- Spread with butter all over.
- Spread with filling mixture.
- Roll the dough up into a scroll to enclose filling. Bring ends together and pinch to seal.
- Bake as dough directions indicate, usually around 25 minutes.
Yes, I know I love dates, nuts and oranges, having said that I have to say this filling is excellent!! I did not want to make a yeast bread to use the filling sooooo, I used some Pillsbury croissants. Wow! are they delicious! I will definitely be making this recipe again and can't wait to try it in a coffee cake. I did use the orange zest from a whole orange, just because I love citrus!! I made up one package of croissants by rolling some of the filling inside each roll; the other package I patted the rolls into a rectangle, spread the filling down the center and folded in both sides to make a 'coffee cake' style pastry.