Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
In making cookies for Christmas I was trying to keep in mind what I had in my cabinets (instead of running out for more supplies). I found a recipe in the "More With Less" cookbook that looked interesting. I adapted it pretty heavily based on what I had. These are soft cookies that spread a ton while baking. They are a little crumbly but had a lovely soft, almost old fashioned molasses type taste. Sucanat is unrefined sugar. It has a lovely taste and more redeeming social value then refined sugar. If you don't have it, though, brown sugar would be a fine replacement.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sucanat or 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or regular - not instant)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, sucanat, and eggs.
- In a different bowl combine the flour through all spice.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture alternating with the milk until it is all combined.
- Stir in the oatmeal and dates.
- Drop by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Immediately remove from pans onto a rack to cool.
Very tasty cookies. My kids loved them. I used "light" margarine, and they still turned out great.
An excellent recipe. Very easy. Nice texture. Not too sweet. I also like that it made a lot of cookies. I did find them, however, a little bland for my taste. The second time I added a more spice and about 1/3 cup of coconut. Coconut goes nicely with dates.
These were a great way to use up the dates that I had leftover. I found that when I greased my cookie sheet, they spread a lot. But when there was only a touch of grease on the sheet, they didn't spread much at all. I don't use cooking spray so I had to "make do". Next time I get dates, these will be first on the list to get made. Even my 7 year old son liked them! He couldn't wait to take them to school! Thanks so much for a great and healthy recipe!