Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy and delicious!
Make and share this Date-Oatmeal Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, cut in pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F Put oatmeal and dates in a bowl.
- Pour on the boiling water.
- Stir to combine.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Gradually add brown and white sugars to the shortening, creaming well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Stir oatmeal mixture into creamed mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add to wet mixture, mixing well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13" X 9" baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done.
- Cool on a rack.
- For frosting, combine butter and lemon peel.
- Sift icing sugar and mix into the butter mixture.
- Gradually stir in the lemon juice.
- Stir until smooth.
- Frost cooled cake.