Recipe by Kaykwilts
This is another old family favorite. My mother used to make this when I was a girl.
- 1 cup dates, chopped and pitted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.
- Stir constantly to prevent sticking.
- Cook to the soft-ball stage.
- Take off the stove.
- Let it cool.
- Then add vanilla, dates and nuts.
- Beat unit it shows signs of firmness.
- Shape into two rolls on a cloth powdered with confectioners sugar.
- Leave the rolls in a cool place until thoroughly cool.
- Slice 1/4 inch thick.