Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Sunset "Cookies" (1985). I personally cook meringues on parchment paper rather than the recommended greased cooking sheet. The dates make chewy meringue.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup dates, pitted and snipped
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. With the mixer on high speed, beat in salt; then gradually add sugar, about a tableshppon at a time, beating well after each addition, until whites fold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Fold in dates and walnuts.
- Drop meringue mixture by rounded teaspoonfulls onto well-greased cooking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 inch apart. Bake in a 200°F oven for 1 hour or until outside is dry and set; cookies should not turn brown.
- Let cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks and let cool completely. Store airtight.
These are delightful! The dates and walnuts are the perfect blend of flavours enveloped in airy meringue. If this recipe would work with less sugar, it would be ideal since the dates are so sweet. Very delicious!