Recipe by Jenny Ann
Recipe came from my husband's grandmother. They are much easier to make than they sound. I have halved the recipe successfully; and I have used jam instead of the cooked dates although nothing beats the original recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar (can substitute Splenda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or even a little less (can substitute Splenda)
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the dates in sugar and water, until tender. Cool before using.
- Blend shortening and sugar, and then add remaining ingredients.
- Roll out thin on a floured surface, cutting into circles.
- Place filling on bottom circle, top with a second circle, and seal edges.
- Bake until brown at 350 degrees - about 10 minutes, depending on the size of your circles.