Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Originally from "Christmas Cookies"...a quick way to make oatmeal-date cookies..mmm!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine flour, oats, soda, salt, & brown sugar.
- Cut butter in until it reaches the consistency of coarse meal.
- Press half of mixture across the bottom of an ungreased 12x8x2 baking pan.
- Combine dates, 1 c. sugar, and water in saucepan.
- Cook on low until sugar dissolves, dates soften, and mixture is thick and mushy.
- Spread date mixture over dough in pan.
- Cover with remaining dough.
- Bake at 325 for 40 min or until lightly browned.
- Cut into 1"x2" bars while still warm; remove to wire racks to cool.
I added nuts into the date mix and we really loved the addition. I have made them several times both ways and we love them both!
These were a big hit in our house. And I didn't feel bad watching my husband and daughter gobble them up since all in all, this is way better for them than any of the other cookies we make around here. So good- we're making more!
These turned out excellent! I had a date bar recipe I used to use but this is much better. Everyone in my family loved them. This is one I know I will make over and over. Thanks for posting it!