Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmmmmmmmmm...Chocolate-y goooooooooodnessssssssss. Conjour the image of Homer Simpson drooling. Times don't account for chilling. If wary of raw eggs, use powdered eggs or meringue powder
- 118.29 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 118.29 ml Splenda sugar substitute, plus
- 29.58 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 236.59 ml plain soymilk (I use Westsoy Lite) or 236.59 ml skim milk
- 118.29 ml plain soymilk or 118.29 ml skim milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature (or 2 tablespoons meringue power or powdered egg whites mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 pie crust (optional)
- Combine ½ cup sugar and cocoa in heavy saucepan; add 1-cup milk, mixing together well.
- Stirring constantly with a wire whisk, heat pan over medium until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl; set aside to cool.
- Pour remaining 1/2-cup milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stirring, heat mixture over low until gelatin dissolves 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently mix gelatin mixture and vanilla into cocoa mixture, blending all ingredients together and set aside continuing to cool.
- Place egg whites or meringue powder/ powdered egg whites mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water into a stainless steel or copper bowl.
- Using a wire whisk mix powder with water until completely dissolved.
- Beat egg whites or powdered egg white mixture at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, one at a time, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a third of the meringue into cocoa until blended.
- Gently fold remaining meringue into mousse.
- Pour mousse into piecrust or moulds or whatever dish you want and chill for 3 hours or until set.