1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Dessert of the Day’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line 18 standard muffin cups with paper liners, or butter and dust with flour.
- 3In a bowl, whisk the cocoa into the boiling water.
- 4Let cool to lukewarm, then whisk in the buttermilk.
- 5In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 6In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until combined.
- 7Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Add the vanilla along with the final egg.
- 9Decrease the speed to low and add the dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with the cocoa-buttermilk mixture in 2 additions, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- 10Beat just until combined.
- 11Divide the batter among the lined paper cups, filling each cup almost full.
- 12Bake until the cupcakes are puffed and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, 15-20 minutes.
- 13Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- 14Remove the cupcakes from the pans.
- 15Spread a thick layer of frosting on each cupcake and serve.
- 16To make the frosting: place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over (not touching) barely simmering water, and warm, stirring often, until melted.
- 17Remove from over the water and let cool to room temperature.
- 18In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 19Beat in the vanilla.
- 20Add the cooled chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated, then increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 21The frosting will keep for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (2096 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.0
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 129.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 34.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g