Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
A staple in Denmark - wonderfully dense and dark. Slice thinly and use for open-faced sandwiches.
Make and share this Danish Pumpernickel Rye Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Heat water and beer until luke warm,.
- Dissolve yeast in liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients in stand mixer (add flours gradually, keeping some of the white flour back).
- Knead the dough until slightly tacky - about 10 minutes. You may wish to hand knead for a few minutes to ensure the dough has the right consistency.
- Place dough in large oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 90 minutes.
- Form two loaves and place in loaf pans (I use 3 liter loaf pans - you could probably use 3 smaller pans).
- Cover and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 75 minutes at 350 F (175 C).