Recipe by Jhiversen
A staple in Denmark - wonderfully dense and dark. Slice thinly and use for open-faced sandwiches.
- 12 ounces beer (or water)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 10 cups wholemeal rye flour (1 kg)
- 10 cups white flour (approximate, 1 kg)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water and beer until luke warm,.
- Dissolve yeast in liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients in stand mixer (add flours gradually, keeping some of the white flour back).
- Knead the dough until slightly tacky - about 10 minutes. You may wish to hand knead for a few minutes to ensure the dough has the right consistency.
- Place dough in large oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 90 minutes.
- Form two loaves and place in loaf pans (I use 3 liter loaf pans - you could probably use 3 smaller pans).
- Cover and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 75 minutes at 350 F (175 C).