Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tomatoes stuffed with a combination of apples, celery, and blue cheese.
- 8 firm medium tomatoes
- 1 large golden delicious apple, unpeeled, chopped
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 celery, minced
- 4 ounces danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- chopped fresh parsley
- Place a strainer over a small bowl; set aside.
- Cut a 1/4 inch slice off top of each tomato to make lids. Scoop center flesh and seeds from tomatoes into strainer.Press through strainer; set aside. Discard seeds. Invert tomato shells and lids onto paper towels; let drain 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine apple, olives, celery, and blue cheese. Spoon evenly into drained tomatoes.
- Stir 2 tablespoons strained tomato into mayonnaise.
- Top each filled tomato with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve remaining mayonnaise mixture in a small bowl.
- Top each serving with reserved lids, placed slightly to one side.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
I scaled this down to 2 tomatoes and combined all the remaining ingredients before stuffing back into the tomato shells. The stuffing mixture was very tasty - the apple and cheese really worked well together. Easy and will make again.
I made these specifically for DH ~ only made 2 for his brunch today. He loved them, but wasn't sure how to eat them LOL! He suggested next time I make them to mix the internal combo with the mayo mixture ~ that way you get the flavor of the dressing in each bite. He was very happy and this goes into the keeper cookbook ~ great for the summer! Thanks morgainegeiser ~ made for ZWT6 ~ SCANDANAVIA Region and the Queens of Quisine!