Recipe by sheepdoc
From Recipe Goldmine. Traditional Australian outback bread, supposed to be cooked on a campfire. Basically a big biscuit. This version has buttermilk and yeast.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (one package)
- 1⁄4 cup very warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yeast, water, and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.
- Knead lightly on floured surface until smooth.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Form into 7" circle. Place on greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut x on top. Bake 35 minutes.
- Serve warm.