Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mommy makes it for the wet monsoon evenings...great with a cup of hot "elaichi chai"
- 2 cups channa dal, soaked for min. 2 hrs (chick peas)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 dried red chilies, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon anise seed (anise)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3 cups oil, to deep fry
- drain the soaked chanas and spread them on a cloth or paper to drain of the excess water.
- grind coarsely in grinder (there should be whole chanas here and there).
- add in all the other ingredients.
- mix well with a spoon (dont try to make a dough out of it).
- make medium sized, tweleve to fifteen balls of the mix.
- heat oil in a wok or kadahi.
- keep the heat on a medium flame.
- take each ball and keep it in the centre of your palm and press it down with the other, exerting pressure towards the outer end of stuff.
- give it a convex look from above and below.
- fry them till golden brown.
- serve hot with tea and fried green chillies!