Recipe by Habibi
A nice chicken and walnut dish from Arabia. (I increased the spices and that made it more appealing to me, at least)
Top Review by stormylee
A great, subtly spiced stew - the garnishings really take this to the next level, so do not leave them out! I used 1 kg of bone-in chicken breasts, but otherwise followed the recipe; used in all about 1,5 ts salt and cut the chicken in fairly large chunks (aesthetic preference!). Thank you for a lovely recipe Habibi!
- 4 lbs chicken
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons baharat
- 3 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a pot and cover halfway with water; add half of the chopped onions, the carrots, 1/4 cup of the parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken and take the meat off the bone, cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Strain the chicken stock and set aside. Mix the walnuts with the paprika and set aside.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the butter. Add the remaining onions, the chicken stock, the cinnamon, cloves, baharat, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, then set on a serving platter, and garnish with the walnut and paprika mixture.
- Decorate with the remaining parsley and cilantro.
- Serve with rice and pita bread.