1/7 Photos of Dainty Egg and Chive Tea Sandwiches for Tea-Time
French Tart's Note:
I am compiling a sandwiches cookbook, or sarnies as we call them in the UK, and here is my first recipe! Sandwiches come in many guises, from simple and elegant to hearty and robust; in my cookbook I aim to have them ALL in there! Sandwiches tick all the boxes for so many meals and events: the obvious high teatime table, cricket teas, picnics, packed lunches and quick snacks. These sandwiches are dainty and elegant and would be ideal for the teatime table. The use of fresh chives gives them a bit of a lift and you must try to use the salad cream as well as the mayonnaise; salad cream has a pronounced vinegary flavour which cuts through the richness of the mayonnaise and eggs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the eggs in a small pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and run the eggs under cold water until cool.
- 2Peel and then coarsely grate or crumble the eggs into a bowl. Mix with the salad cream, mayonnaise and chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Cut off the bread crusts with a serrated knife - put them to one side for home-made breadcrumbs.
- 4Butter the bread and divide the egg mixture between 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread. Stack 2 sandwiches together and cut into 3 fingers, then serve.
- 5Cook's tips: Pierce the rounded end of each egg with a pin before cooking to help stop the shell from cracking.
- 6Cooling the eggs under cold water stops them from cooking further and prevents a dark ring forming around the yolk.
- 7For easy peeling, peel the eggs under cold running water over a colander to collect all the bits of shell. The water stops the shell from sticking to your fingers and the egg.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dainty Egg and Chive Tea Sandwiches for Tea-Time
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 169.7 mg
- Sodium 465.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 12.0 g