Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great chili recipe for those of us who just can't handle red meat or sauces...or if you just want something a little different.
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 4 cups chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (2 cans for more spice)
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or red pepper)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red beans (drained)
- Saute chicken breasts on a skillet and cut into cubes. Keep to add later.
- Heat oil. Add onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano and pepper - saute for 2 minutes.
- Add undrained northern beans, chicken stock and drained red beans. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add chicken and cheese, reduce heat and stir until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream at table in case it has too much bite for your guests.
This was good, but way more like soup than chili to me. So I added a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up, and it worked just fine. Tasted great! I 4oz can of chilis was enough heat for us.
Very yummy! Next time I will use 2 cans of chilies instead of 1!