Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was my dad's favorite pie from his childhood, and he brought it with him into his family. Mom still has the original recipe card from years ago, which I copied carefully to bake for my family. The first time I made it for my family, it was a hit!
- 1⁄2 unbaked pie shell
- 1 cup of cut rhubarb, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk, do not substitute
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the rhubarb, and place into your unbaked pie shell.
- Cover the rhubarb with the 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Mix your beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of remaining sugar, along with your whole milk.
- Pour this mixture over your rhubarb and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, let cool before serving, this will allow the custard to set.
- Note: It is important that you don't put more rhubarb in than the recipe calls for, rhubarb is very watery, and will cause the custard to not set. Also, not using whole milk will result in the same outcome.
- If you are having problems with the pie not setting, try adding 1 Tablespoon of flour, by tossing the rhubarb in it before putting into the pie shell.