Recipe by Buckwheatjr.
This is the recipe my dad uses for "Pizza and Movie Night" every Friday, a tradition started when my dad was a food service officer on a submarine and they would make pizza every Friday night for the crew. Add any toppings you like. Be creative!
Top Review by PianoCook
This was a very good recipe. I told DH we should remember how good homemade pizza is every time we consider delivery. I only spent about $5, and it was still oven fresh!!! The crust was just right for us. I cooked in my stoneware for about 25 minutes. Perfect amount of crisp. I played with the sauce a bit. Chopped up half a large onion and sauteed with a couple of garlic cloves to soften, then let all sauce ingredients simmer together for about five minutes. Loved the flavor after that. Didn't have parsley on hand so that didn't make it in, but I'm not a big fan anyway, so it was ok. Also love that I don't have to think about meal planning for 2 more nights this week!!! Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring '09.
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 23 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 37 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Add warm water and olive oil; stir with a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Cover with a clean dishtowel and/or set in a warm place to let rise about 20 minutes.
- When risen, transfer the dough to a floured surface. Flour your hands and the dough before kneading a couple of times.
- With a pizza cutter, divide the dough into three pieces; set two pieces aside.
- Knead one pie again before shaping into a small, flat circle. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin, being careful to retain a circle shape (if the dough starts sticking, try flouring the rolling pin as well).
- Carefully place the dough in a 12-inch pizza pan, trimming with a pizza cutter if needed.
- Repeat steps 5-6 for the other two pieces of dough.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Spread evenly on each pizza with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on each pizza, along with any desired toppings.
- Bake each pizza at 425 degrees F until the cheese starts to brown on the edges.
- Let cool a bit before slicing and serving.
- Try using any leftover ingredients to make a miniature pizza.