Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
My ex-mother in-law used to make these. So chewy and Yummy!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant oats
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350, grease cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, both sugars,oats, and coconut. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well using your hands or wooden spoon. Roll dough into walnut size balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 min cookies should be lightly brown and chewy not crispy.
- Cool before removing from the cookie sheets.
The consistency of these were beautiful; just wonderfully chewy and not bad flavor if only I could have got past the major sugar JOLT! I added more of everything except for the sugar and that helped somewhat although they are still very, very sweeet. That's not something the little sugar fiends (kids) are complaining about but for most people I would think this might be too sweet so I would play around with the measurements in the future. Overall, I was really happy to find a cookie without the dreaded saturated fats (margarine, butter, and shortening) so I'm glad I found this recipe which I plan on tinkering around with next time.