Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is by far one of the best chocolate pies - I have searched and the difference is the unsweetened chocolate vs. cocoa. Also, it can be changed to butterscotch, caramel, coconut...(variations at end of directions)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 3 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- MIx cornstarch, 1 cup sugar and salt.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate in scalded milk.
- Gradually add milk.
- Cook in double boiler till thick, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks.
- Stir into remaining hot mixture.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Pour into shell and spread with meringue made out of whites and 6 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes.
- ** For Butterscotch: Omit chocolate. Substitute brown sugar for white sugar and increase butter to 3 tablespoons.
- ** For Caramel: Omit chocolate. Decrease sugar to 2/3 cup and caramelize 1/4 cup of sugar and add to scalded milk.
- *** For Coconut: Omit Chocolate. Decrease sugar to 2/3 cup. Add 1 cup moist, shredded coconut to filling. Sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut on meringue before browning.
Very good! I made the coconut version. Only to discover that i am out of the coconut called for. so, i added back the other 1/3c sugar & added my natural dessicated, unsweetened coconut to the scalded milk so it would have more time to rehydrate. I think even with the unsweetened coconut, 2/3c sugar would be enough. Made for Variety is the Spice of Life event 5/14.