Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A little different than the others posted here. My dad used to get these chili relleno burritos off the lunch truck at work and he loved them! One day, the truck stopped coming and he couldn't get them anymore. I decided to find a way to give him his chili relleno without having to fry something or use very much egg (2 things I don't like doing haha). Although this is a casserole dish, Daddy still spoons his into a tortilla and smiles :) You can substitute 2% reduced-fat milk for the half & half if you prefer. This can be eaten for breakfast or dinner with hash browns or sausage links to accompany it.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (7 ounce) cansortega whole green chilies
- 1 lb Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Beat together flour, eggs and milk until smooth. Rinse chilies (split and seed if not already seeded). Drain well on paper towels.
- Pour cheese onto bottom of dish, reserving 1/2 cup for the topping.
- Place chilies in a layer on top of cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Pour tomato sauce over the casserole and sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours, or until cooked in center. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.