Recipe by lolablitz
We love a good pasty and this is a recipe I've developed to highlight the best of the flavors. We love butter pastry over lard or shortening, so this recipe uses a butter pastry crust recipe originally from Gourmet magazine. Prep time does not include one hour to chill pastry dough. There will be filling left over that I like to bake in a separate dish (covered!) for the little one. Enjoy!
Top Review by Ackman
WE LOVE PASTIES!!! I make them like this quite often, but I use a different crust & sometimes I add a little chopped cabbage...(tried using sauerkraut one time but that was AWFUL!!!) Gotta have LOTS of rutabaga...YUM!!! THANKS for sharing!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup rutabaga, small dice
- 3⁄4-1 cup sweet onion, small dice
- 3 carrots, cut into coins
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dough:.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in butter.
- Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until incorporated.
- Knead until well blended.
- Form into four balls and chill for 1 hour or more covered in plastic wrap.
- Remove pastry from fridge 30 minutes prior to rolling it out.
- Make Filling:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.
- Let flavors marry while rolling out dough.
- Dust flat surface with flour and roll out dough into circles 1/8" thick.
- Place large cupful of filling onto center of each dough circle.
- Pull top over and, using fingertips, dot edges with water.
- Seal edges together and then fold over on itself to form a double seal.
- Cook in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.