We love a good pasty and this is a recipe I've developed to highlight the best of the flavors. We love butter pastry over lard or shortening, so this recipe uses a butter pastry crust recipe originally from Gourmet magazine. Prep time does not include one hour to chill pastry dough. There will be filling left over that I like to bake in a separate dish (covered!) for the little one. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 1Make dough:.
- 2Mix flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in butter.
- 3Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until incorporated.
- 4Knead until well blended.
- 5Form into four balls and chill for 1 hour or more covered in plastic wrap.
- 6Remove pastry from fridge 30 minutes prior to rolling it out.
- 7Make Filling:.
- 8Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 9Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.
- 10Let flavors marry while rolling out dough.
- 11Dust flat surface with flour and roll out dough into circles 1/8" thick.
- 12Place large cupful of filling onto center of each dough circle.
- 13Pull top over and, using fingertips, dot edges with water.
- 14Seal edges together and then fold over on itself to form a double seal.
- 15Cook in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Da Yooper Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1004.9
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 207.1 mg
- Sodium 1037.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 41.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: