1/4 Photos of Cypriot Sour Lentil Soup (Fakes Xithati) (Vegan)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
With gluten free option. This is a delicious lentil soup we enjoy with a side of fresh salad as a light meal. From the Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos, Cyprus section.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 8 cups water, plus 1/4 cup cold water separated
- 1 cup spring onion, finny chopped (green onions)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (regular flour may be used if not gluten free)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (not halal)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges (to serve)
- 1Pick over lentils and wash in several changes of cold water. Drain.
- 2Put lentils in a large pot with 8 cups water, spring onion, garlic if used, olive oil and parsley.
- 3Bing to a boil, cover pan and simmer on low heat for 1 hour or until lentils are soft.
- 4Put 1/4 cup water and flour in a screw top jar, seal and shake until thoroughly combined. This prevents lumps forming. pour this gradually into the boiling soup, stirring constantly until thickened slightly.
- 5Add vinegar, sea salt and pepper to taste. Return to the boil and boil gently for 5 minutes. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon to squeeze onto individual portions and a fresh salad if wished.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cypriot Sour Lentil Soup (Fakes Xithati) (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.8
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 17.1 g