Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "This Can't be Tofu!" by Deborah Madison. Serve with a dallop of chutney and thick plain yogurt for a delicious sandwich!
- 1 (12 -15 ounce) carton firm tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 jalapeno chile or 1 serano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon masala
- Crumble tofu onto a cloth towel, then gather the ends and twist firmly to get rid of any excess moisture. The tofu needs to be fairly dry. Turn crumbled tofu into a bowl and toss with half of the turmeric, the lime juice, and a few pinches of salt (to taste). Set aside.
- Heat oil in saute pan and add ginger, chile, and garlic. Saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or less, if the garlic begins to color. Add cumin, onions, remaining turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft (about 5 min.).
- Add tomatoes and raise the heat, stirring and cooking until the juices have just disappeared, then lower heat and add tofu. Season dish with 1/2 tsp salt and more to taste, and cook until tofu is heated through, 3-5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with the masala, and turn into serving dish or pitas. Serve hot or at room temperature.