Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Although I am not a great cook (can barely cook to 'survive', not 'serve up' this is quite a tasty dish, especially in cold weather. A hot curry will 'warm the cockles of one's heart'
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup coconut cream
- 5 -6 curry leaves
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 lbs green shrimp
- 1 teaspoon rice flour or 1 teaspoon gravox, to thicken curry (These ingredients are mostly available from any Asian grocery outlet.)
- Clean prawns (shell and de-vein).
- Gently fry fenugreek and curry leaves in heated oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and fry till onions turn golden, continually stirring evenly.
- Add curry powder, chilli powder and fry for a minute, then turn in coconut milk and ground rice (the ground rice must be blended with a bit of coconut milk), cinnamon, lemon juice and salt, and simmer for 15 minutes, adding the extra coconut milk if needed.
- Add the prawns, cover and allow to simmer for around twenty minutes.
- For a'Black Curry' the Curry powder and Chilli powder must be lightly roasted, separately.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Yields, Servings and times are`guestimates'.
- I have not recorded this info.