Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Chilled pasta salad from Better Homes and Gardens. Cooking time is chilling time. Can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. Recipe makes 4 main dish servings.
- 2 ounces packaged dried elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup apple, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cashews or 1⁄4 cup peanuts
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk (optional)
- lettuce leaf (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package. Rinse in cold water, drain again.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked pasta, chicken, apple, celery, and onion.
- For dressing, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise or salad dressing, yogurt, curry powder and salt. Pour dressing over pasta mixture. Toss to coat.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in cashews or peanuts into pasta mixture. If necessary, stir in milk. If desired, serve salad in lettuce-lined bowls.
Kind of tasteless . Maybe if you put other spices like cummin will be better .
Yet another delicious way to enjoy chicken salad. The pasta was a nice twist and for mine I used a high fiber white pasta (Ronzoni) and fat free mayo and Greek yogurt. The yogurt makes the dressing so creamy, far better than mayo alone. The apples and celery add a lovely crunch as well as the cashew garnish. I think scallions or red onions would be wonderful alternatives to the onion and would add both flavor and color. Definitely planning to make this again.