Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love ground lamb and it cries for curry. I thought this would be an interesting twist to a "home style" meal.
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 medium onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, as desired, divided
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs, as needed to bind
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine lamb with onion, garlic, eggs, curry, 1/2 tsp cayenne, salt and breadcrumbs.
- Shape into a loaf, and place in a 9x12-inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Combine tomatoes with Worcestershire, reserved cayenne, soy sauce, and brown sugar.
- Pour this over the loaf, and bake in a preheated 400ºF oven for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Serve with chutney and cooked basmati rice.
I have not had much experience with lamb, but thought a meatloaf from lamb would be lovely, so this was something I attempted to create myself during the recipe submittal stage of the contest. I was not pleased with the results of my attempt at all and didn't have the opportunity to try experimenting any further. Needless to say, when I saw this recipe as an entry into the contest, I had to try it. It turned out to be one of the best meatloaves that DH or I have ever had! I followed the ingredients and directions exactly as posted. It was nice and firm, yet very tender, slicing very well and had excellent flavor. The following day, we had it warmed over and made sandwiches, and the day after that, we had it cold as sandwiches. We enjoyed it all three ways. I had planned to make this again for a family reunion, but I am out of ground lamb and was told at the grocer this week that lamb is only available around Easter in my area. Thank you for sharing such a lovely creation! It will definitely be amongst our repertoire of favorites and I will be stocking up on ground lamb come next Easter!
This is certainly not homestyle in my book, this is meatloaf for company! I had two tiny problems with this recipe. The recipe does not state how large the can of diced tomatoes should be, and I used my regular size, which turned out a bit too much and made the loaf a little too "mushy", so I had to up the breadcrumbs to get it to the right consistency so I would get a good slice out of it. The recipe also doesn't call for any salt, and I found that the Worcestershire sauce did not give it enough of a salty flavor, so we found ourselves salting the loaf at the table. Aside from that, this was a superb recipe, and I look forward to making it again!
This was very good and "the" something different I was looking for. The flavor of the curry and cayenne went well with the lamb. The meatloaf was moist and retained its shape when I sliced. The sauce was good too--a little sweet and tangy. I made sandwiches with it the next day and the flavors were even more pronounced.