- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (black or yellow)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Fry mustard seeds in oil until they begin to pop. Add red pepper flakes and shallot and saute until shallot is soft.
- Add garbanzos, turmeric, cumin, ginger, salt and enough water to prevent sticking. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.