Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a recipe my mom served - which was probably based on the Greek tzatziki. Wonderful for warm weather meals.
- 4 -6 cucumbers
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill (use more or less, to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (use more or less, to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- fresh ground pepper
- WASH the cukes and score lengthwise with a fork. If you detest cukeskin, then by all means peel them.
- SLICE the cucumbers into thin rounds, place them in a bowl, and salt generously. Let the cukes rest for a few minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you don't have to wait very long: Just be sure to use less salt.).
- SEASON the salad: When you're ready, pour off the liquid and mix in the mayo, dill, garlic, and pepper.
- Let the salted cucumbers rest for at least 10 minutes to draw out bitterness - longer you have time or are multitasking. If it's going to be a while before you season the cukes, stick the bowl in the fridge.
- I use the feathery fronds from 5-6 stalks of dill and discard the stems, 'cause my family doesn't care for them. Chopped fresh parsley is nice in this salad, too.
- Timesaver: Use commercially prepared chopped garlic.